Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Content vs Happy

Recently I have been thinking a lot about the difference between Happiness and Contentment. According to the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) Content means satisfied or "enjoyment of whatever may be desired". Happiness, however is a mental state of well-being characterized by positive emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion; which to me seems to be more content as opposed to happy.To the best of my understanding, Contentment is a state of being while Happiness is a singular emotion.

I listened to a lesson in church recently on being happy. And I got to thinking while I am not always happy with my life, I am usually content. The teacher basically said that in order to be "Good" members of the church, we have to be happy (ALL the time). I might not necessarily agree with this, but I do think that trying to be happy is a good thing. And I thought that striving for consistent happiness in ones life seems to be asking quite a lot. (For example: half of the time I am proud of myself for making to Seminary awake and on time... and I am suppose happy at that time of the morning? Really?)

Because of my personality, I think being happy is going to take a bit of work. (Not that I am unwilling to try, it will just take a bit of effort.) So, while I am already mostly content with life, I will also strive to be happy.


Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves.

- James M. Barrie

No comments: