Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Adventures of a Seminary Teacher

I was at General Conference a few weeks ago, when I was approached by a member of our High Council. He asked if we could chat, and I assumed he wanted to talk about activities, (which is my other calling) and said ok. We walked a little ways away from where our families were chatting (he is in my family ward so his family knows mine) and he asked how I was doing, and started making small talk. Finally he asked if I would teach seminary for the the last 2 months of the school year.

My outside reaction: What? Really?

My inside reaction: *@$&^@#*@&#!!!!!!!!! WHAT?!?!?! (I was obviously nicer than my thoughts, because we were on Temple Grounds)

And I said Yes. Mostly because I might have a small problem about saying "No" and because we were on Temple Grounds AND we had just sustained the leaders of the church. So basically I was ambushed, and now I teach seminary.

I am starting the third week, and surviving. (Which I am very proud of, considering I have never taught before in my life, and speaking in sacrament gives me minor stress attacks.) We are learning about D&C as well as Church History and the Prophets. And so far I have only had one lesson flop. (I have no idea why, I was prepared and it flowed well in my head...) And this morning as I was cleaning up my room, I realized that I might actually enjoy teaching. Go figure. This in no way means that I will be volunteering to teach next year, it just means that I might not cry IF they do ask.

Pros and cons of being a Seminary Teacher:
  • Being young and "cool": Pro (considering all of the other teachers are at lease twice my age)
  • Being young and having a full time job on top of teaching: CON
  • Waking up at 4:45 and having to be awake enough to teach before 6am: Con
  • Being awake and ready to start on my day by 7am: Pro
  • Learning cool new stuff about the D&C: Pro
  • Having to provide lessons (which are hopefully entertaining enough to keep everyone... including myself... awake) every day: Con
  • Having a dad and sister willing to help me: PRO PRO PRO

Everything considered, its not as bad as I thought it would be. Meaning that it hasn't killed me yet, and things are looking good... although that might be subject to change...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Look at you! Goodness girl, what don't you do? :) This is Kadee by the way, I'm just signed into Troy's account...

ashley said...

you are a saint. thats all i have to say about that.