Monday, July 25, 2011

Old Lady Hobbies

Recently I have taken up quilting again. It is a tradition in our family, that when you graduate High School you get new bedding to take to college. So, as my graduation present to Hailee, I made her a quilt and some pillows for her bed up at school. I am pretty proud of myself for how well it turned out, although I had some serious mishaps along the way.

I feel kind of funny when I say that I like to quilt, because it makes me feel old. Not old as in 30, but old as in 60+. When ever I go into my favorite quilting stores, I am the youngest one in there by at least 20 years. I feel kind of awkward. Not because the other ladies are rude, just that I feel like they look at me and think, "Why are you here? Go home and come back when you have grown up." But, they are always willing to answer my questions, no matter how stupid they might be.

I have been home alone for the last couple of days, because my family went to Lake Powell without me (again), so I got a lot of sewing done. Friday after work, I came home and popped in a movie and quilted. I continued the movie/quilting joyfulness all day Saturday and on into Sunday. It was great. After I finished everything for Hailee's bedding I even started cutting fabric for my next projects! The following movies were a part of my weekend long Quilting/Movie Marathon....

-Newsies
-Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (x2)
-My Fair Lady
-10 Things I Hate About You
-West Side Story
-Moulin Rouge

I think that Q/M Marathons should happen more often.








3 comments:

Unknown said...

love love love the quilt!!! what a cute fun pattern!!! i'm impressed !!

Joni said...

I am so in love with that bedding. Most especially, and predictably, the pillowcase with the Union Jack on it. LOVE.

Also, I miss you.

Lani said...

Um, are you serious?!?! You made those things with your own hands?!? That my dear, is impressive. I would totally buy a quilt from you!